Sunday, March 18, 2012

La Fête de la Société de Sécours


Sr. Jean Marie - President of RS in my Branch
Yesterday, the Sisters of the District celebrated the Anniversary of the Relief Society with a day at the Chutes De Carbet – a beautiful park with 3 breathtaking waterfalls.  To be honest, I was reluctant to go.  My language is not conversational and the thought of 7 hours at a social event was daunting.  But I am so glad that I decided to go.  Not only was the park beautiful, but the association with my sisters here in Guadeloupe was so good for my soul.
The 3 Bouchaut Sisters
The park is on the southern end of the island and so Rich took me to the meeting place where we met the other sisters.  I hitched a ride with the Sisters Bouchaut (Boo – show) – Mother (an investigator), daughter and daughter-in-law.  The daughter in law served a mission on Temple Square and speaks English well which is so nice for me.  We took a short hike in to the picnic area and settle out things on several tables and just relaxed as we waited for everyone to come.  It was so fun to see all the great women from our district come, loaded down with picnic food to share, babies in arms and about 15 of the young women as well.  We gathered when everyone arrived and the darling RS President of the District read from the “Daughters in My Royaume”.  I admire their love of the manuals that the Church gives them.  They read them and mark them and discuss them.  She then asked each of the three sisters who lead the Branch RS to bear their testimonies.  Each of them spoke of the love they felt among the sisters and how women are different from men and how RS fills needs that women have.  We then went around the circle as each sister introduced herself.  They were asked to tell how long they had been members of the church (doesn’t that tell you something about the newness of the Church here in Guadeloupe?), and to tell something that they liked.  I just was filled with such fondness for these women as they spoke.  They were told to keep it short, but they just couldn’t as they shared the stories of their conversions and the things that they liked.  The feeling in the circle was so sweet.  These sisters really know one another.  I love to watch them love each other’s children.  The little ones just go so easily from one sister to another.  You can tell they feel loved by every sister.
We ate good food, drank unusual soft drinks (one of their favorites tastes like black licorice) and everyone shared goodies.  They are good cooks.  Tried some great quiche and some root vegetable – like a potato…the like couscous and rice with egg and ham and green olives.  I am a green olive fan so that was good for me.  Everyone was going from table to table trying each others food.  I put out my little bag of chips to share and they all laughed.  The invitation to bring food to share got lost in the translation for me!
Two of our young women and the one on the left DOES have arms...she is cold in 75 degree weather!
Two of the young adult sisters with the RS President's baby
Our District RS Pres to the left in the background.  One of
our darling (live wire!!) young women in the foreground! 
Later, people went to the Falls or to the hot springs or to the falls where they could swim.  I loved the whole day.  I felt like I was a part of these great women.  I am dying to be better at the language so I can more fully participate in their lives, but yesterday filled my heart with friendship.  It reminded me of how important it is to feel the love and friendship of others.The park is on the southern end of the island and so Rich took me to the meeting place where we met the other sisters.  I hitched a ride with the Sisters Bouchaut (Boo – show) – Mother (an investigator), daughter and daughter-in-law.  The daughter in law served a mission on Temple Square and speaks English well which is so nice for me.  We took a short hike in to the picnic area and settle out things on several tables and just relaxed as we waited for everyone to come.  It was so fun to see all the great women from our district come, loaded down with picnic food to share, babies in arms and about 15 of the young women as well.  We gathered when everyone arrived and the darling RS President of the District read from the “Daughters in My Royaume”.  I admire their love of the manuals that the Church gives them.  They read them and mark them and discuss them.  She then asked each of the three sisters who lead the Branch RS to bear their testimonies.  Each of them spoke of the love they felt among the sisters and how women are different from men and how RS fills needs that women have.  We then went around the circle as each sister introduced herself.  They were asked to tell how long they had been members of the church (doesn’t that tell you something about the newness of the Church here in Guadeloupe?), and to tell something that they liked.  I just was filled with such fondness for these women as they spoke.  They were told to keep it short, but they just couldn’t as they shared the stories of their conversions and the things that they liked.  The feeling in the circle was so sweet.  These sisters really know one another.  I love to watch them love each other’s children.  The little ones just go so easily from one sister to another.  You can tell they feel loved by every sister.
We ate good food, drank unusual soft drinks (one of their favorites tastes like black licorice) and everyone shared goodies.  They are good cooks.  Tried some great quiche and some root vegetable – like a potato…the like couscous and rice with egg and ham and green olives.  I am a green olive fan so that was good for me.  Everyone was going from table to table trying each others food.  I put out my little bag of chips to share and they all laughed.  The invitation to bring food to share got lost in the translation for me!
Later, people went to the Falls or to the hot springs or to the falls where they could swim.  I loved the whole day.  I felt like I was a part of these great women.  I am dying to be better at the language so I can more fully participate in their lives, but yesterday filled my heart with friendship.  It reminded me of how important it is to feel the love and friendship of others.
Today in Church, many of the women wore yellow and blue in honor of Relief Society.  They wore their pins and I just marveled at these amazing sisters in the Gospel. 
The young women of the District made our day even more fun!

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for Mom! Great job getting outside of your comfort zone. I am sure the RS soeurs appreciated it! Thank you for the updates and the photos. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete